Wednesday, May 25, 2016

"Never look for something you didn't want to find,” said Peaches May 24, 2o16

A poet never knows what will inspire a poem. My Facebook friend, Peaches, posted the quote on above onto her Facebook page, and it woke up my muse. I have stopped worrying if people like my poetry. I'm writing for myself these days, or at the least, I'm trying to. I'm hoping that I'm enough of a human being that whatever I write other human beings will get it and . . . like it.

"Never look for something you didn't want to find,” said Peaches

There's something floating in my coffee
just below the surface. I only know it’s there
because its invisible movement creates
tiny tsunamis of grainy black water that smash
against the porcelain beach of my favorite mug.

I’m torn. Should I dump the contents into
the sink and discover the secret creature
living in those caffeine depths?

Perhaps, it is nothing to be concerned about.
Perhaps, there's nothing there, nothing at all.
Perhaps, the waves I watch pounding away
at the hand-painted shore is nothing more
than the effects of an earthquake.
We do seem to have our share
of earthquakes in our beloved state.
Woodie o5-24-16

No comments:

Post a Comment